Wednesday, September 23, 2009

DILL PICKLE AND A GLASS OF MILK

This is a story of dill pickles and a glass of milk. It is a true story.
When I was young, much younger than I am today, I returned home from school one day. My older sister Mieke said that she had heard that if you ate a dill pickle with a glass of milk, you would die. Though it sounds ridiculous, she explained that it had something to do with the chemicals of the two foods combining and becoming toxic to man. Mieke decided to experiment on herself to see if the report was true. Elly and I were certainly curious, but also horrified. We began pleading with Mieke. "Please don't do this! What if it's true?" But Mieke was determined. Slowly and deliberately she downed her afternoon snack. Elly and I looked on with nail-biting concern. And we waited. And we waited.

Nothing happened.

And still nothing happened.

The End.

If (a very big "if") I ever write a book, I think that I will name it "Dill Pickles and Glass of Milk". There's something about that incident that fascinates me. What a conflicting range of emotions rages through the simple tale...despair, defiance, horror, fear, curiosity, anticipation, disappointment, boredom, relief....

No comments: